Sustainability Project

 



PROCESS

               
 I thrifted four pairs of jeans of different sizes and colors, 
and then cut out the pockets of each pair.

 I then took seems that I cut out from the jeans to create 
the straps for the plant holders and sewed them onto the tops of the pockets

 I cut out some of the butterfly patterns on one of the pairs of jeans 

 I then glued the butterfly cut-outs onto some of the pockets

 I tried to improvise with other parts of the jeans that weren't the pockets to see what 
other shapes I could make 


I also played around with some fabric and cut out shapes to add little designs.
I also cut out some of the tags on the jeans and glued them on the pockets.

FINAL OUTCOME



Reflection Statement

    I developed this idea throughout the semester with the initial idea of changing the function of used clothing items into something new. At first, I was brainstorming ideas such as potholders or handbags made from used clothes, and ultimately that turned into the idea of making a multi-purpose wall hanging pocket. These pockets could hold plants, brushes, pens, or pencils- whatever the user would find a purpose for them. In terms of sustainability, I think these wall-hangers were a success, as I took something old and used and repurposed it into something with a completely new function. If I could have done something differently, I would have used a sewing machine to sew each pocket together, as it was quite tiring on my hands to push the needle through such thick material. Overall, I am satisfied with the outcome of these designs and could see this being a fun hobby in the future. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Project